Thursday, May 7, 2009

Final project memories

I thought I would blog with details of my final project’s aggravations, successes, and learning experiences. So, let’s begin with movie maker software. It seems to me that this software does not appreciate working on the same project from various computers. For example, I worked on my final project during class time in the McDowell Administration Building and in the privacy of my office when I am at work. Saving my project progress on a 16GB flash-drive was very helpful, but in changing locations to build my project, a flash-drive will change the alphabet letter that it uses to identify the removable disk. This meant that I had trouble finding my completed work each time I tried opening where I thought it was saved. Maybe realizing the letter would change was a very pronounced part of my difficulties, but the fact that it took someone pointing this out made me realize I could pay more attention when working on projects that was embarrassing. (I believe it is Dr. Carter I need to thank.) I will admit that even though this part of the project was very aggravating, it also encourages me to pay more attention to the idioms of a computer.
Another learning experience has been the use of making folders to store things in that need to be grouped. Believe it or not I have not made a big practice of using folders in my work, whether while at work or in coursework. But, for my project, the number of digital pictures taken from my camera was a large enough number that they needed to be in a folder grouped together. When I bought this particular flash-drive, I didn’t fully comprehend how much information (whether video, audio or text) can be safely stored. Hence: the need for folders. To help readers of this blog understand the size of a 16GB flash-drive, I will offer the following information. I have probably 440 digital pictures that came straight from my camera (because I had trouble finding my work, I would invariably feel the solution was to begin over, at least 45 more because I used this many still pictures in my project. There are at least 30 news scans in a folder, plus two songs. Please understand that everything is not in its own folder. I think as I now understand and appreciate the usefulness of folders; I will continue using this method of saving stored information.
I want to end this blog with mentioning the moment of surprise and elated emotion I felt yesterday (5-06-09) when adding the music to this video. It was like going from watching a silent movie to listening to The Phantom of the Opera (you know, the guy who also stars in the movie “300”). It was a very passionate moment. Music made all the difference in how the pictures were being viewed. This video now comes complete with meaning and will share the memories with Tyler that I want him to have for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment